Re: massive arrays of loopers

I would venture to guess that quite a few people on the list are doing
this...

Currently my rig has a digitech pds 1002, line6 dl4, and lexi jamman.

my project cohorts are using mulitple delays and loopers as well
(digi's, edp, etc).

In the piece we are working on, there are moments where we are
totally knob twiddling.  We've captured enough information in the
loop streams and then we're manipulating by adjusting feedback, delay
times, and also pre and post processing with other effects and
filters.  doesn't exactly push the envelope 'music theory and
execution'-wise, but it sounds a whole lot more interesting than the
guy at Guitar Center wanking off his pentatonic scales.

interesting portion of last night's rehearsal...we were just wrapping
up, and one member got some really good stuff going, the other gent
decides to check out his pedalboard and starts knob twiddling.  I had
already put my guitar away, so i just took the cord, plugged it into
the preamp out of his amp, and ran it through my fx chain and loopers
and just started my own little mangle-thon, using his source.

regarding the dl4, i find it increasingly frustrating to use live.
all the knobbies are nice, but they do unpredictable things if you're
not careful.  also, changing delay models and tweaking leaves you
stuck unless you decide to 'save' that preset.  say you're using the
digital delay, and you have that saved (and all of your other slots
have saved presets).  now start with the digital delay, and say you
want to switch to the multi-head (but you don't have the multi-head
as a saved preset).  so you just turn the model knob and go to the
multi-head.  great, now ya start tweaking and you get something you
really like.  now here comes a section where you have to turn the
delay off, but you don't want to save over any of your other presets.
no can do.  once you turn that multi-head setting off, it's gone.  if
you switch it back on, it goes back to the 'digital delay' preset.

not to say that ruins the pedal.  it's got alot of strong points.
i've just found it to be much more functional as a table top delay
unit.  being able to have a space echo, stereo delay, rythmic delay,
tube echoplex and more in one little box at 24bits is a very cool
thing.

seeya,

rich