Re: OT-fundamentals in sound (was singing bowls)

I'm not claiming to be an acoustic engineer.  So, I will already admit
defeat if that's what's due me.  However, I think there is a fallacy
between drawing a similarity between the way a resonating cone or
half-sphere (like a bowl) produces sound and that produced by the two-way
excursion of a rigid cone (a speaker).  The surface area argument just
doesn't feel right to me when we're not talking about excursion, but rather
a three-dimensional resonance.  And for right now, "feel" is all I've got.
I'm still looking, though.

Will someone with a real working knowledge of this take the baton?  I'm
foundlessly proselytizing and Bret threatens to beat me with a bigger stick
than I'd care to take.