Re: OT-fundamentals in sound (was singing bowls)

Linsay,
Sorry, not trying to beat you with a stick, but rather trying to
understand the physics of what is occuring.  I was intrigued by the
comments made last week, and my initial experience of the bowls caused
me to doubt the assertions.

The only similarity of the cone and bowl that I was trying to make was
radiating surface area.  I addressed that because of the assertion that
the bowl was too small to generate the low fundamental.

I have built loudspeaker enclosures for the past 30 years.  A major
lessen I learned is that what we think is a rigid box, actually
radiates a considerable amount of sound.  One would think that the
seemingly rigid box could flex such a tiny amount that it would not
radiate much sound.  However, the surface area of the boxes panels are
quite large compared to the surface area of the speaker cones, so that
a small movement in the box wall contributes considerably to the
radiate sound field.  This is why companies like Bowers and Wilkins
(B&W) go to such extremes as using laser interferometry to analyze
loudspeker walls' miniscule vibrations.  This lead to them developing
fibercrete walls (fiberglass and concrete) and heavely ribbed walls to
make the structure so rigid that the movement is minimized.

Cleary the modes of vibrations of the bowl and cone loudspeaker are
very different.  In the bowl, resonances are desired and required to
create the sound.  In the cone, we don't want modal vibrations, but
rather piston action (to create the pressure/rarefaction).  Again,
comanyies (like B&W) analyze the vibrational modes of diaphragms to see
if there are modal vibrations and design them out.

I may be full of shit, but we can measure this easily and not worry
about our beliefs and opinions.
I would love to try a 20" bowl.  I haven't seen one that large locally.
 Some of the smaller ones I tried had so much vibrational energy (the
sound kind, not the new age kind) I could hardly hold and play them for
much time.  They made my hands buzz afterword.
regards,
bret