Re: mechanical looping instruments (was singing bowls)

related to this topic which someone may find interesting. Sorry if it's
not:

We built a pair of instruments as museum exhibits (toys) that consisted of
a cylinder about 2' x 6"D that oerated like a programmable music box. Holes
were drilled in 15 columns (rings), 24 holes per column. Pegs could be
inserted by the users at any location. Each column related to a note(s) and
because of the fixed rotational rate of the cylinder, the tempo was fixed
with 24 beats available per measure. I set up the 15 notes in various
scales, pentatonic and such, to avoid annoying children with too much
chromaticity. This way it's easy to create interesting melodies without any
knowlege of music. The user sets up the pegs where the want and then
presses a button to make the "OrchestraRoller" rotate. I also added a
button that when pressed would add in a harmonized note in another voice. I
think we put a Yamaha DB50 card inside one unit and A Roland SCD-15 in the
other. The thing rocked on a drum patch.

The intention of the exhibit was to demonstrate basic musical elements to
children: rhythm, pitch, melody, harmony. One of these is in San Diego and
the other is in Texas somewhere, I believe.
Really a contraption. I'll hunt around for a foto.
tnx, harvey

http://www.starrlabs.com