Re: software based Loopers

I Devious D_MasterMixer suggests:

>Maybe we can get a thread going on about us folks who use software
>based Loopers ? I am sure there are millions of us out there.

go ahead, very interesting...
real time?
Midi or Audio?
on stage, too? (or compatible to a HW looper for this?)
synced to HW looping?
--

Lion, tigers and bears, oh my!
I got somebody interested in this thread, but how do I address this
situation?
The questions above are valid, but depending on the Looping "need", it
would be almost impossible to answer them universally.
My need and setup will differ from say Tom Dilliger's or Bad Boy Bill's or
DJ Quiver, and my performance needs will also differ.
I am a DJ, not a Fat Boy Slim, but more of a Producer/ReMix artist, with
aspirations of "Puffy-dom" type cash. I need quick and easy ways to extend
breaks, create riffs and break beats, and I find that the software based
apps like Sonic Foundry Acid, ReCyCle and yes even the hyped Mixman, has
helped me in these efforts.
The only piece of Looping HW I have that readily interfaces with my PC is
the Zoom's Sample Track 224. I have a 16 meg smartmedia card and adapter,
that I use to upload loops I create in Fruity Loops 2.5, or Acid Pro 2.0.
The sequencer is rudimentary, but it helps in a pinch. The Time Stretch
function is cool, and is very "clean' (no warble like in my Dr. Sample
202).
Now these creations I remix, I simply render to a CD, and viola, I am
mixing
"live" with that. Trying to do this live, between a turntable setup, and
my
KAOS PAD would drive me silly.
My original thoughts was to see if there are more DJ's out there using the
PC based looping apps for anything. I have spent more money on Apps than
Dj
Hardware for the last 8 months, so I am just trying to get a feel of what
my
bretheren are doing.(I also built a new PC, a little Pentium III 550 Mhz
with 256 megs of RAM, and a sweet-ahz soundcard, for under 250 bucks, I
will
upgrade it to the 733 Mhz, when they come down in price this month).That
baby sings when I use those resource hog apps like Cool Edit Pro, and
Dream
Station 1.0.
Now, that's all, in a gnutshell (a little UNIX joke).