PAIA CV-MIDI Converter (was: Portland Oregon)

Hi Dennis,

I'd recommend it. You can easily fit two in a single rack space. The only
issue is finding space on the rack case for all of the input jacks. It has
a very fast response and it's MIDI output is fairly customizable.

You could also fit their MIDI-CV in the other side of the rack if you
wanted to, for a full analog i/o thingy.

I think that response time is about 50 microsec (don't have the literature
in front of me). The only little extra thing I did was make 7 1/4" plugs
that were shorted. Then I plug them into unused inputs just to keep all of
the signals clean. If you're not filtering for a specific controller, the
unused inputs are very sensitive and will couple with the input signal,
generating a little extra noise.

The other thing is that you're limited to 0-5V as the full input range, so
you may have to do some voltage scaling.

I just found the MIDI settings (set via a mini-DIP, for which you might
want to cut an extra case hole)...

----------------
9201Fader operation details
There are two modes of operation.

In multi-channel mode, each fader sends the same MIDI controller number,
but each on a different MIDI channel.

The lowest channel is selected by entering a binary value on switches
1 to 3 of DIP switch S1.

The first fader will transmit on the channel selected, and the remaining
faders will occupy the channels numbered continuously above that.

Setting a value of "000" on these three switches, for example, transmits
on channels 1 through 8 (channels are conventionally numbered as one more
than the binary value).

Switches 4 to 8 on S1 are used to select one of the first 32 MIDI
controller numbers.

A setting of "00111000" transmits MIDI volume (controller 7) on channels
1 to 8.

----------
In single -channel mode, each fader is assigned to a MIDI channel number,
selected using switches 1 to 4 on S1.

Each fader transmits a different MIDI controller number.

The first fader is assigned to the MIDI controller selected by switches
5 to 8 on S1; the next fader tramits that controller number plus one;
the third fader is that number plus two; and so on.

Thus, if you select "00010000" on S1, the MIDI Fader will transmit
controllers 1 to 8 on MIDI channel 1.

**In either mode, the MIDI Fader is programmed to transmit MIDI pitch bend
in place of controller 0 and channel pressure instead of controller 3.

Hope this message isn't too long for everyone. But there is the MIDI
customization in a nutshell.

Hope that answers most of your questions.

Tim