New List Member making critical equipment decisions

Hey guys-
  For years I've had what I thought to be my own "unique" vision of a solo
performance using loops to make my music:)  I've never had the money to
put
together a rig or the time to build one myself. Just a few days ago, I
stumbled across the looper's delight page and realized that there were
others doing exactly the things I want to do! Needless to say, I am
excited
to join the community.
  After talking to as many people as I can find, I have narrowed my search
(I think) down to either an EDP or an electrix repeater.  I would be
interested to hear your opinions on which might be the better choice for
me
(understanding that information on the repeater is somewhat harder to come
by).
  I am a professional (I have a day job too though) jazz drummer and I'm
looking to expand my live sound.  I play mostly acoustically in small
settings. I have no experience with midi devices, keyboards, and no
interest
in playing electronic drums.  However, I would describe myself as
technically very competent with much knowledge in recording technology and
techniques.  At one point I started to work out schematics for a simple
digital looping device, then abandoned that for a failed attempt at coding
mac to do it.  I gave up when I realized that there were quality options
available commercially.

  *My first goal is to build a small looping unit consisting of a
microphone, a looping device, and a keyboard type amplifier/speaker so
that
I can loop live auxiliary percussion while I play my drums acoustically.
  *If this is a success, I want to put together a more advanced rig
(hopefully using the same looping device that I would then be familiar
with)
consisting of a well mic'ed drum kit, auxiliary percussion mic, 8 or 12
channel mixer, and a looping device to output to a PA.  Possibly adding
triggering ability and specialty effects.
  *My ultimate goal is to create a solo live act which would be sort of a
performance art/looping musical journey.  My vision calls for several
percussion "stations" each mic'ed and hooked to a central looping device,
with full control at each "station."

I've landed a job which should support this nasty habit for a while, but I
would really like to make the right choice in the equipment I buy.  Any
takers in doling out advise?
bye-
jon