Re: OT rant from hell

 >In a message dated 10/31/2000 6:43:50 AM Central Standard Time, torn
scrawled:

 >> or, maybe music educators will learn to stay closer apace w/'culture
curves', & begin teaching turntablism (! & looping !) in schools.....

 >for this to happen, music education graduates would have to learn it...
 >and
colleges would have to teach it... and people who have learned it would
have
to be willing to actually BE teachers.

 anyone?

Then a different DT said:

Given my experience in music education, the only way this wil happen in
music
academia is for the artists top turn white, die, and stay that way for a
century or two.
<big snip>
I remember how freaked out my advisor was when I played a piece I composed
for Electric Violin, Effects and Jamman...
 ------

I just had a discussion with this w my girlfried over a little vietnamese
lunch... she teaches high-school art, and faces this same problem.
F'rinstance, she's trying to get the school system to approve her grant to
teach website design as art, and add it to the curriculum, or at least
form
an art/computing synthesis.  Same point: all these ugly webpages that
confuse
content with (poor) design.  Just like all them damn samplers and drum
machines that sometimes substitute for music.  anyway, it ain't about what
tools you use, as she said: if you have the training in the fundamentals,
the
classic properties, the basic theories, then you can make good stuff
regardless of the tools you use.  I agree.

(just curious: dt: where, besides the school of All Them Guys You've
Played
Wif, did you get educated?  Formally?  I ask you cause you're the highest
profile amongst us, visibility-wise, etc.)

That brings us back to dead white guys: i often didnt care much for
ear-training, sight singing, or counterpoint (but Schenkerian analysis was
REAL eye-opener!!!!), but I confess that knowing these basic building
blocks
sure makes things work for me today.  Most pap involves the simplest,
basest
stuff, harmony, rhythm, etc., to make it easiest for the McDonald's crowd
hear.  Not to say that a simple song in the key of F can't be beautiful
also,
but it's approached differently, isn't it?

When I went to NTSU, (most of) my composition professors had no problem
with
the weirder things I wanted to do, but often questioned why i did them --
so
that i could see my motives.  (god, now that I have motives, I wish I
could
Any school that offered synclavier programming as a composition course
couldn't insist on all DWMs.  I know that Dan Haerle in the Jazz Dept back
there is teaching pretty full-scale courses in MIDI... but I doubt if
they've
written a book on the turntable yet!

Besides, the first step in breaking all the rules is knowing them.

BTW, this is IMFA exactly the kind of stuff we oughta be talking about --
how
to use this stuff for the purposes of good, not evil...

kb