Re: Klein Woods

I happen to own three Kleins: #1 basswood with a steinberger neck (serial
#011, one of the "original" steve klein models), #2 chambered swamp ash
w/Bardens, and #3 solid mahogany with Duncan Seth Lover humbuckers.

The basswood is pretty even sounding, almost clinical with the 'berger
neck,
but then when you turn the amp up some the guitar blossoms and gets
richer,
with more overtones apparent.

The chambered swamp ash has less high end than you might expect -- it
ain't a
Strat -- however, there's more articulation on the attack and at low
volumes
there's more character to the sound than the basswood one. At high volumes
it
can get a little bit "honky" or "woofy" in the lower mids; I think this is
result of the chambering. Switching to single coil mode on the Bardens
helps.
I've heard a few tele freaks play this guitar, and it does that Danny
Gatton
thing pretty durn well.

The mahogany one sounds like a Gibson SG or LP jr. Sort of, anyway. The
Kleins all have a tighter, more focused tone than "traditional" guitars.
But
this one has that distinctive "klang" that all-mahogany guitars tend to
have.

Kingsley