[all] stereo to mono phase problems

I am looking for help with out of phase or muddy sound. Occasionally, I have an "out of phase" problem if I select mix to mono through my mixer to the amp and monitors. I understand this problem occurs from incorrect or faulty wiring. I tried switching the polarity of one of the speakers and vice versa. Could it be that the shielding has broken down in the cables from the mixer to the amp? Any ideas about what to watch out for to resolve phase problems or suggestions for references. By the way, if I record mono channels and use a stereoizer for the final mix I can get a good mono signal. I don't really want mono, but I would like t have the ability to pan to center without producing muddy sound. Thank you for all your assistance. -Paul