Vortex tech stuff

1) Triggering the Vortex 'tap' electronically is possible. But it would
still
drift out of sync. Especially if MIDI was involved.
Syncing the Vortex to a beat is best achieved by tapping over a large
time period (2 bars, 4 bars, 8 bars etc) . The Vortex will divide the
tap time by 2 until it has enough resources to cope. This might
let you 'sync' for about a minute without noticable drift, depending
on how accurate (or fussy) you are.

2)The Vortex control pedal could (I think) be replaced by some kind of
control voltage device.

3) the PARAMETER and REG/PRE knobs are switches configured
to produce a 4 bit binary code, (I don't know about the VALUE knob though)
so
presumably these could be replaced by something controllable.

4) As regards Vortex emulations, the manual won't tell you about
what happens when you morph. For instance if you start in ATMOSPHERE B
with a particular value of RES 2 (mod tap a tuning) then as you morph away
to a different preset where RES 2 is used to control something else you'd
expect the "mod tap a tuning" to stay the same, especially if you'd
set RES 2 to the same value in the other preset.
 However you can hear that this is not the case, the  "mod tap a tuning"
varies very obviously as you morph. This leads me to believe
the Vortex has what you might call 'hidden values' .  For instance
"mod tap a tuning" might be given a value of 64 (or 0, I don't know) in the
ORBIT preset, this would have no effect within the ORBIT preset itself
but would make a difference when you morph from ATMOS B to ORBIT.
I've emailed Lexicon about this, but they (G.Hogan) say that
  a) the guy who programmed the Vortex is no longer with us.
  b) you can't contact our tech people directly.

So the only way to chart these 'hidden values'  would be to try out every
combination of morphs.

5)Apologies to 'Almost all list members' for long rambling nonsense post.

6)If anyone wants to send me a copy of the Vortex Service sheet I'll put
it online.

Andy Butler
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/soundfnr/vortex.htm">Lexicon Vortex
Database