Re: OT: Warning! Musician's Friend Warning!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Mark.  Tough one to beat,
though...Musician's Friend and Guitar Center get so many incentives
and great buys from the manufacturers because they buy so damn much,
that they can drive the smaller stores (with possibly better service)
out of business.

Very few of the mom/pop stores carry a selection that those
stores/catalogs do, though.  They just can't carry that much
inventory.  Which leaves people with taste for gear that's a bit left
of center no choice sometimes.  Also, often the small shops can't
even get premium brands because they don't sell enough units!

the best bet i have had is finding someone at the store, or on the
phone that seems like they have more than just a couple of hampsters
between their ears, and STICK TO THEM.  make them aware that you will
only buy from them because they are the ONLY one in the store that
gives you the service you want.  that usually means you will be
buying from a manager.  nice side effect, though, is that if you're
dealing with a manager at a high enough level, they can discount
beyond what the little chumps can.  If you forge a relationship with
someone, they are more likely to help you out, too.

best of luck,

rich

ps.  being lied to by a GC salesman?  ...like getting yelled at by
someone with Tourette's syndrome.