I need 4 more people for a compilation - field recordings

(First of all, yes, this is a huge email. Sorry to the folks who are not
interested, but it is on topic and it is all relevant text that I had to
get
in there.)

Hey everyone,

I have another CT-Collective compilation in the signup stage right now.
The
aim is to record field recordings of the city (or town, or rural area) you
live in, or a similar location that you're visiting, then to create music
from those field recordings.

I announced this project to the CT group on Wednesday. I was expecting to
struggle to get 10 people from different geographic areas, and I very
quickly got 16. So this project is going to be in 2 volumes, and I'm now
looking for 4 more people to round out Volume 2.

Very Important: Since I'm specifically aiming to get a wide variety of
cities in this project, I can't let two people represent the same area.
People who do not live in North America or Europe are especially
encouraged!
Here are the areas I already have represented:

San Francisco, California
Los Angeles, California
New York City
Atlanta, Georgia
Austin, Texas
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Bloomington, Minnesota (Minneapolis/St. Paul area)
Lafayette, Indiana

Mexico City
Garda Lake, Italy
Pretty much all of the United Kingdom (we already have 3 participants)
Kuerten, Germany
Eskilstuna, Sweden

If you can represent an area other than the ones listed, and you'd like to
take part in this (for more details, see the rules posted below), please
email me directly. I imagine there could be a lot of demand for this, so
it's best to email me soon, and I apologize in advance for the people I
won't be able to fit, but I can only take 4.

These next two paragraphs are general facts about most CT Projects.
Participants will join a seperate email discussion list, hosted by
Egroups.com. (I'm the moderator of this group, and I'm here, so the 4
people
I take should have no trouble getting in.) Finished tracks can be sent to
me
by mail in the form of music on a CD-R or tape, or a .wav file on CD-R. I
can also take .wav files over the internet, but they have to be posted
somewhere. Sorry, I can't take MiniDisc, DAT, or ZIP/Jazz discs.

We all chip in for the costs of the discs and artwork that we'll all
recieve. That will most likely be around $8-$10 per participant, and
you'll
recieve both volumes. Why is it so cheap? Well, first they'll be on CD-R,
probably with very nice black and white artwork. Secondly,  you don't have
to chip in for extra copies unless you want some. When we're done, I will
be
offering these for sale online for $5 per disc. That's pretty much what
they'll cost me to make and mail. Since they're CD-R's I can make them as
sell them. I've historically been the distributor of the CT-Projects, but
I'm not greedy. If another participant wants to make and sell them the
same
way I do, we'll figure out a way to make that work. In short, these
compilations are not for profit. They're a chance to collaborate with new
people, and to try something most of us probably haven't done before. (I
certainly haven't done music from field recordings before, anyway.)

Okay, here are the rules for this project in particular:

CT-Location project rules.

Ok. Here's the idea: I want to get (a total of) 20 musicians from around
the
world to represent their various cities or geographic locations where they
live. These people will go out and record sounds from the areas they
encounter in their day-to-day life. Then they'll construct "music" from
these sounds they recorded. The result will be to get a survey of 1) the
day
to day life of different areas around the world, and 2) the intuitions,
interests, and techniques of the musicians recording and "remixing" the
sounds.

Here are the project rules:

1) 10 musicians with a time limit of 7 minutes each for each disc.
Musicians
are allowed to divide their time into 2 or more pieces of music to
represent
different aspects of their "cities".
2) By "Cities", I'm not limiting this project to urban areas. If you live
out in the countryside or in a suburb, that's perfectly fine. "City" is
about the amount of land area I'm looking for.
3) Since I'm trying to get a nice variety of geographical locations
represented, I'm not going to allow 2 people to represent the same city.
4) However, if two people who live in the same city want to join, they can
both contribute if one of them is traveling to a different location, and
wants to represent that other location. For example, if two New Yorkers
want
to join, but one was going to base his music on sounds from his vacation
spot in Wyoming instead of New York City, that would be perfectly fine.
5) You must be able to send at least one photograph of the area you're
representing, and it has to be a photograph taken by you or a friend of
yours (not taken from a National Geographic, for example). I'd like to use
these photos somehow in the artwork or the front cover. How photos can be
submitted will be up to whoever's doing the artwork. Hopefully, these
photographs will represent the day to day life in these areas (not
pictures
of the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower), but I'm not going to set a
rule about that last part.
6) You can't play your instruments on this one. You can't re-record any of
your old songs from a stereo, or instruct other people to perform on
command
either. You can record street musicians, music playing from passing cars
or
stores, people humming and singing amongst themselves, yourself
interacting
with your environment (walking, using ATM machines, etc.), animals, all
sorts of stuff! Most of the performance aspects of this are going to be
when
you re-organize your source recordings to make your final pieces of music.
7) Of course, your final submissions must be made entirely of your field
recordings. You can process, loop and rearrange them however you want. If
the track you send me has nothing to do with, or clearly breaks these
rules,
it's simply not going to be on the compilation. (For example, if the track
you submit is of you playing guitar, or is your latest synth-techno hit.)
8) Final submission date: Postmarked by June 1st for Volume 2. (I might
back
this up within the next week.)

Here are some examples of this kind of music that I know about:

Alejandra and Underwood: "Notebook on Cities and Clothes"  - These guys
did
a tour last year where each performance is created entirely from
laptop-manipulated sounds of another city. This is a disc of these live
shows. Most of the music is created by making simple loops or playing
passages in stereo slightly out of phase with each other.

Christophe Charles: "Undirected 1986-1996" and Oval: "Dok" -  Christophe
Charles made several recordings of different city sounds - bells, crowds,
machinery, traffic, and altered, layered, and rearranged some of it to
create kind of spooky minimal 'soundscapes'. Oval then borrowed a lot of
Mr.
Charles' source recordings and ran them through his trademark digital
music-making process to create the CD 'Dok', which sounds quite different.

Tetsu Inoue, Charles Uzzell-Edwards, and Daimon Beail: "Audio" - Actually,
just bought this CD, so I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but the
music
is created entirely from source recordings made at different street
corners
in San Francisco.

Michael Peters: My2k webpage :
http://www.mpeters.de/mpeweb/music/my2k/index.htm
A lot of Michael Peters' 10 second songs for this project involve source
recordings.

The Quiet American <http://www.quietamerican.org>. This guy provides his
excellent music in streaming mp3 and real audio! He travels to different
areas of the world, and makes looped music from his source recordings
there.

Thanks for your patience! Even though this mail seems strict, I'm sure
we're
going to have a lot of fun doing this, and I'm confident that it's going
be a nice comp when we're done!

Best,

Matt Davignon