Re: Syncing with the EDP...

At 9:29 PM -0800 1/12/01, Bryn and Mike wrote:
>  Hey Folks,
>I'm looking for a little collective wisdom here. I've got my EDP synced to
>a Roland GrooveBox 505 and it generally works pretty well. The problem is
>that whenever I use more than one loop, the EDP doesn't stay synced. I've
>got it set on "Quantize" and this works just fine when I lay down my "A"
>loop. However, the EDP stops listening to the GrooveBox  as soon as I go
>to the "Nextloop". The problem is that as soon as I'm done recording my
>"B" loop, the EDP doesn't wait to hear another MIDI beat before it stops
>recording. The end result is that I may  record a great "A" loop that's in
>time but if I don't end my "B" loop at  precisely the right time, my loops
>will be out of sync with the GrooveBox. Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Mike Georgin

What you are trying to do should work just fine. It's hard for me to guess
what you are doing wrong, since you didn't say enough about how you have
things configured and the exact actions you are doing. I even tried a whole
bunch of odd ways to switch loops and record, with various parameter
settings, and it always did the right thing. I couldn't replicate your
problem.

Do you have the LoopIIIv5.0 software? (the latest version...I know that
does the right thing.)  You say you have Quantize on, but what you really
want is SwitchQuantize on. Is it? That quantizes loop switching and you
probably want it on for this sort of application. Do you have AutoRecord or
LoopCopy on? How are you starting and stopping the record going to the
second loop? There are ways to force recording to start and stop out of
sync by pressing it again during the time it waits for the sync pulse,
could you be doing that? Do you have the echoplex and groovebox set to
different midi channels? They should be different, as the groovebox could
be sending out midi that is inadvertantly controlling the echoplex. Keeping
them on different channels would prevent that.

kim