Re: Responding to "gig spam"

a few points I'd make...

- good design requires critique
Anyone who wants to do public art ought to care a bit about whether it
works
or not. Hard thing to measure, since individual responses vary so much, but
if you have a listener who at least represents the demographic of folks who
'might conceivably relate', then feedback from them is certainly a good
thing. Its just one data point, but 1st draft's are rarely the best ones,
and an iterative design process that takes into account 'usability' reports
stands a good chance of producing something better than a purely
iconclastic
effort.

- the observer is part of the system
Welcome to the fun house. Anything I say about you is really talking more
about me. This should be reflected in the language we use. You can talk
authoritatively about your feelings and your reactions, and you can help us
to understand the basis for your reactions with a bit of introspective
disclosure. But you ought to be real careful in your language when you
describe something in 'objective' terms. thin ice, there! Korzybki's
'General Semantics' was all about this.

- this is a family show
the very name of this forum suggests that we loopers are talking among
ourselves, this isn't a public WWF smackdown show, this is a family
gathering, and certain kindnesses are in order. 'Delight' suggests that we
are here for enjoyment, to celebrate our enthusiasm for an art form that
gives us pleasure.  That fact should inform any critique offered in this
forum. Spankings should be given with a smile!

In any case, I think we all enjoyed the realization that a blistering
review
turned into a thoughtful discussion and that there's a lotta cool vibes
here. (unlike _some_ internet lists, haha)
Thanks all!

Bob Campbell
near Seattle
http://www.mp3.com/AstroBlue