RE: Disappointed in Hollywood - - to each his own, i suppose

Title: RE: Disappointed in Hollywood - - to each his own, i suppose
hi luigi,

Hi Steuart. I'm a fellow musician and looper, and I play guitar, synths, whatever creating loops. I have played almost every kind of music, apart from country, which I'm studying a bit and some jazz, which I'm practicing now. I've done many loop /noise/ ambient performances, both live and in studio. That just to make a little clear my background. I couldn't follow the performance, living in Italy, but what you (and I mean YOU) tell us is that it wasn't that much of a performance. When I have to play a live session, however I'm feeling at the moment, I try to get to my audience (expecially when I get paid from the audience) the best I can at the moment.

** actually, i'd like to clarify a little here: i didn't say too much about my/our own performance in terms of an artistic judgement. i didn't feel that it was appropriate. what i tried to do was give a critique of the rest of the show and then a somewhat factual description of the set that anna and i played - - including where i thought some rhythm and melody and form happened. if you'd like, i can give my viewpoints on what was and wasn't successful about our set; though i'm not sure how much that would help. but no, i didn't think that our set wasn't MUCH. i actually quite liked most of it. again, there were some who were quite complimentary.

And usually, I try to check my instruments before I get to play.

 ** my eh 16  had problems after the sound check. why do i need to hear this from you? i tend to pretty professional and i think that you are taking an approach that assumes that i am not. why is that? i resent it if you are.

Talking about the first show you tell:

'joseph hammer: he was ALL looping, it was only an analog tape loop (surprised me actually). used cds (and maybe some other stuff) and fed 'em into a analog tape loop and manipulated manually. interesting at first and quickly became tiring for me. '

Well, is that a loop performance? That is nothing more than every DJ one time or another does in is lifetime (and I play with a DJ), and I think from your comment that it was (at least) a bit self indulgent. I have done that kind of things myself sometimes, but while I was in my studio, working on some background for my musical works, and I tried always to develop that things.

** that was sort of my point. the person who critiqued the evening was upset about there being no looping. what i saw and heard was a guy putting performance media into a looping device and manipulating it.  i didn't say whether or not it was "good" - - only that it had the hallmarks of a looping performance (also it was of interest due to recent commentary on using a tape recorder as a looping device). it was not like many djs i've heard, it was more like musique concrete. as to whether or not it was self-indulgent, i wouldn't even care to characterize it that way. how can i tell if something is self-indulgent. i think that there is a certain component of self-indulgence in almost all music that  is being made as "art" rather than as functional music (dance music, ritual music, funeral music, etc.). my idea of self-indulgence is probably quite different than yours (i find a lot of fusion or prog stuff very self-indulgent, but others think that it's the best stuff). if it means something to the performer and to some of the audience is it only self-indulgent?

 For the second performance, I can't think that someone who plays guitar for a living cannot understand if someone is really playing or not.

** here's gary's quote:

"I play guitar and so does she--she mimed real good--but it wasn't live.

the operative word here is mime - - as in lip-syncing. what i was trying to say was that he was wrong. she didn't mime it, she did "play live" - - i wouldn't say that she played "well" or that i liked it. if you look at my post i merely said that her fingers were hitting the strings (and that sounds was coming out).

 And you too told that the performance was of no relevance for you, think about someone who paid to hear some music and get that

 ** well relevance and not liking are two different things - - at least in my book. again, there are films that i've seen that i didn't particularly enjoy and cds that didn't do much for. heck there are friends i've had that are no longer friends. nothing is for sure, you know? i don't quibble with gary's right to be disappointed by the gig. that doesn't bother me; neither does his "bad review" of the proceedings. i only wish to  have a little different viewpoint about it. i suppose that i should reserve the same right to go see him play and be disappointed - - or maybe not.  maybe i'd like it. if i expect something that i don't get, is that my fault or his?

stig