Re: analog delays

Christian Leduc (07:49 PM 01.16.2001) wrote:

 >I don't know how many delays that Mark have?!?!? :)
 >Big Briar's Delay, TC D-2, Blacet time machine, I think he had also a
 >Deltalab's Echotron or Effectron.. so many of them!!! :)

I love delay lines!

At last count I have 7 _dedicated_ delay boxes, and then a number of
multi-effects that also have delay capabilities.

 >Instead, I bought an old Ibanez
 >HD-1000 because it has a Pitch Shifter and Chorus ability (I sold my old
 >multi-effect processor).. I regret that move... The Yamaha was great, very
 >tap"ish" in sound... and the HD-1000 is giving me trouble when I go in the
 >high pitched notes on the guitar..

Yeup.. (got one too!)

The HD-1000 is best used as a mono delay line. The pitch shifter is good
set up a chorus, but that's about it. I've run mine -12 semitones, but
NOTHING above +3 is worth anything.

The on-board regeneration is also VERY weak. There's no way to get it to
run-away short of running the delay back through a channel on a mixer and
controlling regen from there.

Now, the _cool_ thing about the HD-1000 is that you can run an external CV
into it which will control the delay time (I'm pretty sure it has an
external CV_IN - mine's packed right now and I can't check). Try running
an
LFO from a synth into here and clock it up into the audible range. If you
don't have a stand-alone LFO around :) then try a synth's audio OUT. If
it's not hot enough to push the delay hard, then run the synth through a
mixer channel first, crank the gain and send it through an AUX bus and out
to the CV_IN on the delay line.

 >I know that it isn't the first time that I say that, but the Echotron of
 >Deltalab will always be one of my choice of predilection... It sounds
 >quite
 >a lot like a pure analog device if you use the soft feedback option (with
 >lowpass filter)... And it is quite cheap now on the market...  And it
 >gives
 >you looping ability... But it's only a thought... :)
 >
 >It was just one of those rare moments when Digital sounds as good as
 >analog...

:) This will depend on _which_ of the Effectron's you have. The original
:is
VERY analog sounding, but the Effectron II (which I have) is a bit
brighter.

But, if you run either one through a LPF, then you're happenin'.

And of course, I would recommend that LPF to be the MoogerFooger MF-101! :)

Mark