Re: Roland VG8 Guitar system?

The VG-8 is a processor but in a very extreme way. It reshapes the sound of
your actual guitar that is picked up by the GK pickup. Certain elements of
the original sound (sustain, dynamics etc.) are retained but a new harmonic
structure is imposed on it. You can use this to create a '58 Strat or new
and unheard of sounds too.
Since the GK pickup is actually 6 small pickups (one for each string) you
can use the onboard pitch shift to adjust each string's tuning regardless
of
what the guitar is tuned to. This is after the modelling stage so it is
tuning the processed sound not the guitar signal.
The VG-8 is great at creating weird sounds from a banjo to a massive
underwater cavern (kind of...) it has a huge sound palette if you explore
it
and can do things a regular guitar processor could never get close to, it's
a real instrument, not just another box.
afaik the sounds on vg8.com are just the VG-8 with no outboard processing.

btw David Coffin is something of a VG guru, held in great esteem in VG-land
and his patches are stellar, a great starting point for weird/loopy sounds.

Martin Shellard