Re: "Perspective/Perception Is Everything"

From: "rich" <rich@nuvisionsca.com>
> Not sure if i agree.  Yes, the Music Industry is reeling, but we all
> are.  How would you 'classify' certain music now, in this age of
> genre-splitting?  Go into a commercial record store now (ie: Best
> Buy, Virgin), and look in the Rock section and EVERYTHING is there,
> from Current 93 to Sabbath to the Beach Boys, or even Splattercell, i
> bet.  It's all put under Rock because the classifications are
> blurring so fast.  You can't really hire a bunch of minimum wagers
> and expect them to have that kind of informed knowledge base.  Where
> would you put Michael Brook with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan?  What about
> Bally Sagoo with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan?  Ambient?  World?  Dance?
> uh....Rock? :)

What's happened is that the established music biz still doesn't fathom the
importance of what happened when we all got online and published our own
work.  If they had - if they were SMART - it'd be a situation where they'd
be leveraging their abilities to distribute and promote in an attempt to
get
us to crawl across the carpet to some cigar-chomper like in the old days.
Well, we don't have to do any of that stuff anymore, kids.  And while we're
out HERE doing our own things and promoting ourselves -albeit with much
labor - and having creative control over our own work, the cigar-chompers'
most advanced stance is to bitch and moan about Napster.  If they even know
WHAT Napster IS.  Thus they haven't even identified the smell of the tires
that ran them over years ago.

> ya seem pretty bitter about this whole NPR thang...perhaps i can send
> back some advice that you sent me last time i had a good bitch going
> on...
>
> Do you have a belief process of some kind?  Move out of your house, take
an
> acoustic guitar, and hit the road for a while.

Still haven't left that one behind, eh?  Well, I've left the USA, and I
already have an acoustic guitar.  Want a different dynamic?  Try living in
the UK and competing with the droves - I mean masses - of folks who want to
be musicians.  Thankfully a lot of them are bogged down in Music School
learning what a chord is or something - [snicker]

Stephen Goodman
http://www.earthlight.net/Studios * The free Loop of the Week!
http://www.mp3.com/StephenGoodman * New MP3 Releases!
http://StephenGoodman.iuma.com * Even more MP3s!