transporting effects safely

I am a novice about rackmount stuff, but I've acquired a few pieces of
equipment lately that I will eventually need to put in a rack, and when
repeater shows up of course I'll want it to be placed in a stable case as
well. I figure the best way to do all of this is to buy a case that is
suitable for transport (flight case perhaps?) and just use that for studio
as well as live use. I don't really know where to start though, and my
pockets aren't too deep so I don't want to be hasty. Can someone point me
in
the right direction? Thanks.

Jon