Totally computerized real time equipment?

Since there are more and more applications available and the
discussion is up here, I would like to ask people that work real time
on computer:

How far are we from implementing the whole equipment in a PowerBook?
(I dont think I would have a big problem to use it on stage since I
neither play in beer ambiences nor at Carnegie Hall ;-).

I imagine use the guitar, some personal analog effects and a MIDI
pedal board like pc1600 to feed the PowerBook where the digital
effects (pitch shift, modulations...), looping, and final reverb
would happen so I could connect the power amp directly to the
PowerBook output.
Hopefully the computer could also record the result and maybe add some
drums...
So to keep the delay low, it takes an audio card which then does not
fit into the PowerBook?
Can we connect a sequence of effects internally internally in real
time, even if they have different formats like: plug in effects ->MAX
looper -> HD recorder?
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org