Re: while we're talkin equipment

Nemoguitt@aol.com (05:27 PM 01.25.2001) wrote:

>has anyone had experiance with the ALESIS' airFX or the airSYNTH
>($295.00), im curious, both look like neat boxes.....michael

I haven't played with the AirSynth, but I imagine that it's much the same
as the AirFX in concept which I have some exposure to.

The AirFX is a totally preset box. There is no memory, no MIDI, and the
inputs are RCA jacks.

You drive the box via the "Axyz" controller which is an infrared device
that can detect movement on 3 axis. This is different than the Roland
D-Beam technology which can only detect movement on 1 axis.

The ability to free-form things like phaser swirls, filter sweeps, scratch
effects, vocoder effects is pretty cool. For example, call up a phaser and
you have simultaneous control over effect depth, phase position, and
phaser
speed (I think those are the three params). If you find a certain spot
that
you like, hit the button and the box will hold that spot for you.

The effects are good quality. All processing is done at 24bit and is
spec'd
at a bandwidth of 20hz-20khz.

List price is $249.99, and I think the street is well under $200.

Well worth the cash.