Use BeatSync! (with HW tricks...)

In "Any More Info on New BOSS Looping pedal" mails you mention things
that can be solved by the EDP BeatSync.
I join them here:

>  ... some trick of synching a non-MIDI looper to other
>  time-specific gear?  Other than printing the drum loop to the looper,
>  which I hate to do, are there other creative options?

If there is a LED that blinks in the rithm of the loop, you can feed
that pulse from its driver to the outer world and convert to MIDI
somehow or feed the BeatSync of an Echoplex.

Miko:
>I put my EDP in sampler mode (Mute then hit insert for a one-shot
>trigger) on long loops, then tap on the downbeat. It's amazing how
>well you can make things sync up.

Thats a good method. Even better is to get a flat, handy foot switch
and connect it to BeatSync. Set Sync - IN. Then you can tap during
most functions to get the same correction effect without needing to
tap every time, the loop goes on when you dont tap and get alined
when you tap.

>Then you can do things like re-trigger only the beginning of the
>loop for awhile, then let the entire loop play to add variation.

Ah, thats different, but BeatSync also does that if you set to
Mute-Multiply
(I hope it does it in that version, sorry, we keep changing our minds
what this function should do exactly ;-).

>It's SO simple, yet really makes things sound dynamic. The fact that
>it automatically stops allows you to improvise yet other events in
>any gaps you leave open. It's really easy and fun...

nice you like it!

>I believe you can do this sort of thing on the Boomerang and well as
>the DL4... The Boss looks like it does that as well as allows you to
>RE-TAP to CHANGE the loop time...

hmm, so we could connect the BeatSync with Sync = OUT or any other
pulse from any other machine to this tap switch, right?

>so I'd say you should be able to recover from poorly tapped tempo
>problems as well as be creative about how you overlay your loops.

Yes. Mich Gerber simply puts the melodies in his second EDP to Mute
and then starts them again next time round, with Mute (MuteMode =
Sta) or with Undo (MuteMode = Cnt)

Mark Sottilaro:

>There is a computer/hardware device (Help?  I can't remember the
>name...Conductor maybe?) that can adjust sequenced backing tracks by
>listing to a soloist and making tempo changes.  I played with it a few
>times when I worked in a music store, and it seemed to work pretty
>well.

thats interesting! There must be computer soft doing that too!?

>Until technology gets to a point where computers can make changes
>to tempo based on a live performance, we're still stuck with using a
>midi clock to get loopers to synch with other electronic music devices.

As long as there is a outstanding peak in the signal (as the bass
drum often provides), you can adjust the level and feed BeatSync with
it. Contol with the Sync dot blinking. But the level as low as
possible so that its still flashing.
Even if there is a second such peak in the sound, it may not harm,
because the syncing only considers impulses close to the beginning of
the loop.
I discribed that differently earlyer... sorry if I repeat myself...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org