RE: How to place Looper in audio path?

Dave,

> In the electronics setup, which I'd guess is closer to your
> system, I have
> the loopers (JamMan, Vortex, and occaisionally DL-4) fed from
> Aux sends
> from my mixer, and returned into mixer channels instead of
> the Aux sends.
> The reason I do this is so that any input on the mixer can be
> looped, and
> the loops can be fed through other processors, even fed back into
> themselves, which can be interesting. The problem is that
> this requires a
> lot of Aux's and a lot of (preferably stereo) input channels. I still
> haven't found a portable mixer that really works in this context, I'm
> currently using either a Mackie 1202 (only 2 sends, so I end up using
> Y-cables to split the sends), or a Mackie 1604 (physically too big, no
> stereo input channels), depending on how big a setup I'm using.

This is exactly the kind of information I was trying to find out.  I
currently have all five of my synths (all with stereo outputs)
connecting to my Mackie 1202VLZ pro and then two mics connecting to a
couple of preamps for my saxes.  I have a Lexicon MPX1 hanging off the
aux 1 & 2 outs (since it's stereo) returning back to the Aux 1 L&R bus.

I guess the way you have it configured, by bringing the return from your
looper back to another channel, you can then apply effects the looped
sound separately which is then combined with the original dry sound
(that has gone through effects as well).

I too have a 1604, but prefer to leave it in my home studio since it
weighs a ton, especially with the rest of my rack.

I did purchase a EZ-BUS made by Event electronics, but with the delays
probably won't be here until next month sometime.  The nice thing about
it is that it has 18 balanced connections (not including SPIDF or ADAT)
and everything is mixed on a matrix bussing system which means you can
route anything to anywhere.  I will also be able to keep everything in
the digital realm until the final mix goes out the main balance outs.

Regards,

Steve