Re: Repeater

> Subject: Using Repeater (was RE: Repeater NAMM Demo)
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:51:34 -0800
> From: Mark Pulver <mark@redmoon-music.com>
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com

> Remember also that Repeater and resample into itself... So, keep the
> loop
> running at 134bpm, hang a flanger on the effects loop, trigger the
> flange
> in sync, and resample the results. Now time shift that down to 1bpm,
> and
> you get a wonderful, blossoming, colorful sound that you simply have
> to hear.
>

> There's a lot in this box...
>
> Mark

Uh oh, I can see it coming now.  Engineers who record Cher get their
hands on a Repeater, and morph her voice on a recording of "Baby, baby,
baby, baby" into something that "no one has ever heard before" using
this timestretching technique.  The song is distributed over the
internet and within 15 minutes goes platinum.  A leading recording
magazine does an "insider" story on the track, revealing that the sound
is actually produced by running her voice through a tin-can telephone
into a one-of-a-kind vocoder built in 1950 by Bob Moog.  Big Briar's
website crashes due to influx of "I want one too" e-mails.  Over a
million "I know how it was *really* done" e-mail messages are posted to
assorted newsgroups/lists.  Electrix runs a triple-page pull-out ad in
National Enquirer with an endorsement from Elvis, telling how it's
really done.  Back orders for Repeater are up to 5 years, although
Electrix claims that new production techniques will allow them to fill
all orders within two weeks.  Used Repeaters begin to appear on ebay
with the endorsement "unit actually used by Cher in recording BBB," and
are selling for over $10K each.  SIGH.   See what you've gotten us into,
Damon?   :)

Elby