Repeater, EDP, Jamman

OK, to make things more complicated, I just tried to purchase a second
hand EDP
for 550.00, but "lost the bid" to someone who offered 650.00.  I may end up
going for a new one and am on the list for the next shipment through Alto
Music.
 But, as a consolation prize, the seller recommended I look into the
Repeater.....

So a few new questions would be:

1.  Given the choice between an EDP and a Repeater, for the purposes of
using
in a multi-instrumental (percussion and acoustic intstruments, both mic'd
and
synth inputs through a mixer) context geared toward live improvisational
stuff,
what would you recommend?

2.  Anyone know of the limitations of the Repeater for live recording, and
playback
with foot control?  Does it allow cueing of / jumping between loops in
performance
as with the EDP and Jamman?  Does the overdup function allow infinite
layers
as with the Jamman?  Can it "really" do up to 8 minutes of looping and be
every
bit as flexible and creative and cool as the Jamman and EDP?  Is there any
"fine
print" with this machine that anyone knows about?  Bugs?  Glitches?
Reliability
issues?  etc, etc.  Does a footpedal controller cost an extra arm and a
leg,
and what type would you recommend with the Repeater?

I have to say that a very trusted source (and incredible guitar player)
first
turned my thoughts toward the EDP, but now I'm.....

Getting more confused by the minute,

Stephen B.
chambrad@valinet.com