Re: that AABA thing; inherent probs in looping

....There have been a couple of posts recently I have put off adding to,
but
would now like to address.
Someone wrote of a problem trying to their JamMan to do an AABA type song
form with multiple loops. Remember that the JamBoy's max memory (with
upgrade) is 32 sec. and that is for all your loops (not overdubs, but for
each discrete loop...bank 1, bank 2 etc.), and that your second loop will
be
the same length as loop #1. If you are trying to do something with a
"song"
form I have found it possible to record loop 1 and then using MIDI program
change commands punch in command #13 (cue loop 2), this allows you to
"arm"
(cue) loop 2 while loop 1 plays. When loop 1 reaches its start/stop point
loop #2 will kick in...blank, and you are in record mode so start doing
the
2nd loop. If there is enough memory left, then you can repeat this for a
third loop. You can then use commands #12 (cue loop 1) and #13 (cue loop
2)
while the other of the loops are playing so JamMan will toggle between
those
two song sections. Of course, getting the timing down for both loops is
the
problem. It REALLY helps if you are using a drum machine as the master
midi
clock, and that allows your tap in/outs to be (fairly) seamless.
On that same subject: When I first started looping (with the JamMan BTW),
felt compelled and drawn to the "one man band" kinda concept. Approaching
looping from the point being a solo bassist, that aspect ("sack yer band")
seemed the most approachable. AH...then I discovered the inherent problems
in looping. A looper really is not a "band in a box", nor is it a
sequencer.
And setting up verse/chorus type structures to "solo" over, while being a
great deal of fun, left me a bit artistically empty. Even using drum
machines with looping did not fullfull the aesthetic. I also found that
drum
machines and "normal" song structures, alienated a great deal of my
potential audience...we've discussed that in another thread. I discovered
that the looper is much more like an instrument in its own right...albeit
one that requires an outside sound source. This revelation allowed me
embrace the inherent problems in using loops. Yes there are some
limitations. Doing "song" type compositions is very demanding. Loop
lengths
(esp. on my JamMan and DL4) are limited. At first I felt this to be
limiting, but I find those same "limitations" inspiring and welcomed.
Having
unlimited options, in my opinion, is not the answer (although all that
memory in the EDP and the Repeater is intriguing). But rather I would like
to make the most with a limited set of options; a finite universe which I
know well. If I want to do "song" type compositions, with multiple parts
and
changes, or complex arrangemnets, I'll work with a band. In that sense I
can
fullfill the need for song forms and still do loops for texture.
For looping shows I now mainly play my acoustic bass guitar, provide my
own
percusion loops by preparing or "playing" with the many percussive
qualities
of that instrument, and use a JamMAn and DL4 un-synced! By having a
limited
set of options in this way I must use my own talents and knowledge to
explore the depths of harmony and rhythm and melody to create finished
music. Sure muted slaps and taps do not sound like a drum machine's snare
or
conga samples....but in way the work out better.
I can alter a melody over a repeated/looped chordal part and that changes
the "quality" of the harmony in the loop (something we bass players have
known about for a long time...)
Using a looper AS an instrument allows me to conceive and execute
compositional and textural structures which are new and (sometimes) wild
and
working within the technical limitations of the machine allows me to
explore
further the depths of music.
Sometimes limitaions can be good things......
Max