Sound Card question

Hello,
I have a hardware question for you all.  I want to start putting my loops online but I don't know what kind of soundcard to get.  Any suggestions on an inexpensive sound card?
  My setup is a Yamaha MD-4  --> soundcard?  ---> Windows 2000 machine?
Which raises another question, with the new Windows operating systems ME and 2000, which is better for multi-media applications like editing music?  ME seems quite buggy, but supposedly more designed for this use.  Any feedback?
thanks,
Lew