Loop Recording and Loading

I know I'm opening a can of worms here, and of course there will be the obligitory repeater enthusiasm, but let's say I don't have a repeater, and I do have an EDP, and I am looking to find a reliable way to save loops for future loading back into the EDP........what can people recommend?

I've thought about possibly getting a mini-disc recorder, and / or I have a laptop with 32mg of RAM memory and a line level input (but the twinky windows sound recorder doesn't even register incoming sound from the line level input).  Any shareware or inexpensive music programs that would allow me to save in Mp3 format from a line level input, and then dump back into the EDP later, as one option?

Any suggestions are welcome.  BTW, thanks for the reverb input, that was very helpful.

stephen b.