Re: droning questions

Allan Hoeltje wrote:

> Is there any eletronic FX box that can produce a sympathetic resonance
> similar to the sitar?  I would imagine that you could program Kyma to do
> this but how about a more affordable unit?
>
> -Allan
>
> ----------
> >From: Stephen <dakshah@yahoo.com>
> > The sitar has 3 or 4 main playing strings, 2 or 3
> > chikari or rhythm strings, and then 15 or so
> > sympathetic strings underneath the main playing
> > strings.  The main purpose of the sympathetic strings
> > is to resonate (sympathetically :-) with the notes
> > being played on the main strings, thereby providing
> > that 'shimmering' sound, and a very quiet slight echo.

for a cheap, but effective, if not terribly authentic drone, i sometimes
will set my boss DD3 pedal to a very short delay time, with  feedback
almost full up (just shy of feedback) but the effect level backed off (to
taste); this produces a "sympathetic" (or perhaps just pathetic) droning
sound kinda like a sitar (no one very familiar with a real sitar's sound
will mistake the two, but it is a fun effect to play with- very shimmery).
i'd imagine a more sophisticated delay box would do that and more (i'm
thinking that moog's analog unit would be really nice, for example); i
haven't even tried it on the edp, which mainly gets used round here for
loops, not delay...

lance g.