Re: OT steve howe etc

In a message dated 03/30/2001 1:52:31 PM Central Standard Time,
rich@nuvisionsca.com writes:

For example, what piece of gear was introduced and then was taken by
Townshend as a vital part of his sound and recording process?

Listen to 'Baba O'Riley', and dig how he used the synthesizer.  It was a
relatively new piece of gear.  If anyone had thought of using it that way
before, well, had they recorded it yet?

To think that old (50+!) musicians have nothing to say is similar to thinking
that young musicians have nothing to say.  I mean, does this apply to, say,
Wayne Shorter, who is past 60?  Or John McLaughlin, who is 56 or 57?  Kenny
Wheeler?  Derek Bailey?  Keith Jarrett?  (How old is Torn?)

As far as Howe goes, well, hey, his playing in the early 70s was a big
jaw-dropper motivator for me as a kid, and one reason I bought an ES-175 at
age 17... Whether he loops or not isn't important to me this afternoon.
Granted, I wouldn't buy anything he's recorded lately, but he gets props from
me.

And: Money is a poor motivation for making music, but so are drugs and sex.
Those are not exclusive to old guys.  Should ever I win the lottery, I'll
keep playing until it's all gone.

Just play.

kevin