Re: FESTIVAL of VOICE + ELECTRONICS this coming TUESDAY, MAY8th at 8 p.m. at the RIO THEATRE

Sorry this is so late but for those interested...

>>> "Rick Walker (loop.pool)" <GLOBAL@cruzio.com> 05/03/01 04:00AM >>>
Hi, gang, Please check out this really cool and free event next Tuesday,
May 8th at 8 p.m. at the Rio Theatre in Santa Cruz (specific information
follows)

                THE 1st SANTA CRUZ
FESTIVAL OF VOICE + ELECTRONICA
                 TUESDAY, MAY 8th
RIO THEATRE, SANTA CRUZ, CALIFORNIA
with special guest artist:   live video animator, David Tristram

is a reality, thanks to Laurence Bedford's (owner of the Rio Theatre)
generosity!!!!

it is FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are:  John Whooley (vox, processing and our headliner), Amy Excolere
(vox), Bill Walker (processing), Miko B (processing), Simran Gleason (vox,
processing) and co., Johnathan Arthur (vox), Richard Salzberg (vox),
Martyn St. Michael and co. (vox),  George DeMarest (vox, processing),
Jeremy Zumaran (vox, processing), Tony DeCicco (vox),  and myself,  Rick
Walker (M.C., vox, processing, publicity, postering and  autocratic stage
managing ;-).

CENTRAL INTENT OF THE SHOW:
The central metaphor for the entire show is to have acapella
improvisational singing in several different styles (overtone singing,
opera, avante garde, death metal,  industrial beatbox, trip hop, pop,
angelic chanting, mouth farts or whatever)  to be manipulated by
electronic processing artists (looping, pitch shifting, vocoding,
filtering, et. al).

The singers will have no 'control' over the processors, nor will the
processors have any control over what they are given to 'process'
This can have really beautiful results if everybody has their best
listening and creativity hats on (physical hats are not required ;-)
The one rule of the show is    VOICE ONLY....................NO OTHER
INSTRUMENTS and NO PRERECORDED SAMPLES (even of voice)

We will be joined by special guest artist David Tristam (live video
animation and visual processing) and Ed Atkins (tentatively on lighting
design ;-),Victor Revere (sound and facilitation),   Bob Caine (on live
sound recording and facilitation;-) and last but not least,
Laurence Bedford (venue, patronage and spiritual guidance and the lovely
and talented Sabine Freudiger (spiritual guidance and good vibes).

The show is Tuesday night, May 8th at the RIO THEATRE at Soquel and
Seabright.   It will begin at 8 p.m. and continue until it is finished.

 I'm very, very excited to be working with such incredibly talented and
fearless improvisers as yourselves.  I think we may break some new ground,
artistically and maybe create some new vocal 'vocabulary' in the process.

"All composition is just very slow improvisation"   -- Arnold Schoenberg

Thanks,    Rick Walker (aka, loop.pool)

P.S.   I will be performing a solo looping set as the opener for the
legendary RESIDENTS on May 26 at the RIO THEATRE.
I'm so jazzed, I can't see straight~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (what ridiculous
emoticom is used for giddy excitement?)