Newbie multiple loop playing question....

Im a guitar player and Im thinking of buying my first looping device
after listening to Phish for a bit. I have looked at the specs, reviews
and harmony central comments for the DL-4, Boomerang, the Echoplex and
the forthcoming Repeater. One thing that I really thought I heard in a
Trey solo was two separate loops playing at once. They were not overdubs
as they had a different loop time it seemed. Now, everything I seem to
read is that Trey used a Boomerang but maybe is now using the Echoplex.
>From what I read in the manuals, nothing can play multiple loops at the
same time except for the Echoplex? Im not sure if Im confused or maybe I
mis-heard the recording?  Can anyone fill me in on the details. I would
be bummed if I bought something and then was let down.. :-(   Im pretty
rural so I can't drive down to a local store and try one out either. :-(
:-(

thanks