Re: OT: Personal Audio Space?

The Exploratorium is not elliptical, it is just a long, large
warehouse-like
hall with lots of things on display.  It is a very noisy environment with
lots of people and kids talking and moving about.  The chairs look like big
open eggs, made of concrete I think, and have an elliptical back.  They sit
some 50 feet apart directly across from each other and the space between is
usually cluttered with people and noise.  I don't know the physics but I
would guess the hard curved back surface of the chair makes a focal point
and the sound generated inside the chair is focused onto the other chair.
The noise from the hall itself is reduced significantly inside the chair
which makes it a very nice spot to sit.

The Exploratorium is a wonderful place to go and see kids (and adults)
doing
playful unsupervised hands-on science.  They do not have a loop display per
se but they usually have some pretty cool music related things.  I usually
go twice a year and have a blast.

-Allan