Re: looping drummers and nasty monitor situations

Jim wrote:
"the looper picks up the monitors when i am
recording or overdubbing.  how are you guys dealing with this?"

I run my mics into my mackie mixer with the mute on.  then I send out of my
inserts to my 3 jampersons.   then I put the jamperson mix setting to 100%
wet.  then I return the jamperson signal to a channel higher up on the
board
(channels 1 + 2 return to 7 + 8, etc.)

In this way, the microphone never hears the monitor initially because there
is nothing being monitored until the loop comes back to you.

In this way I am using Shure SM-81 condenser mic as an overhead and an AKG
D112 on my 'kick' drum (which is only 12" in diameter, but that's another
posting) on my loopable, prepared drumset so the fidelity I'm getting is
incredible for live
and.............no feedback.

The only odd thing is that the audience hears your first playing
acoustically and then the
loop comes back.  It destroys the illusion of
seemless looping but I' ve come to live with it, especially given the
increased fidelity of the loops.

I'll be using this rig with Michael and Steve in our upcoming tour.

Good luck...........and you can also consider one of the behringer feedback
eliminators as well.  In ear monitors are cool but very expensive......to
much for this poor drummer ;-)

yours,  Rick Walker (loop.pool)