Re: Octophonic sound system

At 4:46 PM -0500 6/28/01, Dennis Leas wrote:

>I suppose there's probably a better word than "panning" since we mean
>placement in 3-space.

"Pan" is short for "panorama," and this always makes me think in
planar terms. I do use the terms "3D panning" or "spatial panning"
without confusion.

>Maybe a joystick with a pot on the stick's top. Moving the stick
>from side to side and forward to back places the sound in 2-space;
>twisting the stick (or rather the pot on top of the stick) adjusts
>the "altitude" of the sound.

That works - sort of. The problem with twisting to represent
elevation is that it's a direct relationship. I've seen a "spaceball"
used by 3D animators - pull or push the ball in its cradle to go up
or down.

>For a live performance, I've thought about a more visually appealing
>panning
>interface -- The performer stands (or sits) in a space analogous to the
>house.  He or she picks-up a token of some sort (we'll call it a
>"control-egg" for our discussion).  The egg has one or two buttons on it
>and
>a link (probably wireless) to a control processor.

Sounds like a Polhemus Isotrak or Will Bauer's GAMS system (now sold
as the Martin Lighting Director)

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com