Re: midi pedals

At 07:35 AM 9/3/2001, Jason Fink wrote:
>John Tidwell wrote:
>
> > I think Electrix may come to regret listing some of
> > those midi controllers on their web-site. I already
> > own an ART X-15 & it provides limited control at best.
> > I have a Peavey PC-1600x on order. I'm hoping it will
> > solve a lot of my midi control problems.
> >

>Akkk!   I just bought an X-15 on ebay  ($60) hoping it will
>really open things up!  Have not even received it yet.

That is one of many pedals that was only created for simply selecting a
preset on a multi-effect in a guitar rack, and giving a little bit of
continuous controller functionality to adjust the reverb amount or
something. They hardly support any midi commands and have very limited
programmability. If I remember right, the x-15 is even limited to a single
midi channel.

You can hardly expect these limited-function pedals to be very useful for
controlling a more sophisticated device like a looper. They won't be able
to control all the functions. Even if you can get it to control some of
the
functions, sooner or later you will find it won't do what you want. And
certainly if you are starting to play with something like the Repeater,
you
will be looking at more midi devices in the future, like sequencers,
synths, samplers, etc. So why waste time with it?

Get a full featured pedal that supports all of the midi commands, and can
be programmed to work in a variety of ways. You will be much happier in
the
long run. There are plenty of good ones that don't even cost more and are
not any harder to use. Something like the digitech PMC-10, lake-butler
midigator, roland fc-200, yamaha mfc-10, rocktron all-access, etc.

I heard that digital music corp is finally making a new version of the
Ground Control. Does anybody know anything about that? Hopefully they will
do it right this time and include the full midi spec and more options for
how the buttons operate. (i.e., hopefully they make something like the
PMC-10.) The old ground control was so frustrating because it had the
potential to be a good pedal, but they completely crippled it by only
supporting program change and a some limited cc control. Not to mention
lack of midi-in so you couldn't even save patches and restore them.

kim