Re: the power of limits

This is exactly how I do things,too, I have gear/tech evenings, programming
my gr30, ms2000 (great for mangling loops) and vortex tweaking, then I have
nights where I forget all that, and play. often I bring up a git synth
patch that I know Ive worked on recently but forgotten what it is and
tentativly bring it into what Im doing, sometimes it doesnt work, but its
great when it does.!!!

IF you dont get tech probs,

Andy, As the Vortex guy, I seem to have developed some weird stuff with
mine, namely fave old patches have mysteriously changed, volume of loops
have dropped, doesnt respond to changes. I used to have a thing where
things like this would happen and a switch off and on normally did the
trick, now it seems to be permanent.!!! Any regular/known problems with
Vortex that I can fix myself, (cleaning soldering wiggling of components
etc???)

Mark (still no repeaters in Norway yet) Red

                    SoundFNR@aol.

                    com                  To:
Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com

                                         cc:

                    07/09/2001           Subject:     Re: the power of
limits
                    10:18

                    Please

                    respond to

                    Loopers-Delig

                    ht

I like the approach of taking what gear (or compositional techniques) you
have and just getting on with making music, most of the time I work in that

way. Sometimes, however, the sound/structure I want just occurs in my head,

for no particular reason. It then becomes a matter of seeking out the
'gear'
I need  if I ever want to hear the result. Once I'd tried out the simplest
looping boxes (a sampling delay stompbox, probably by Boss) I started to
want
the 'recording studio live' scenario. The setup I have now allows me to do
that, (but of course I now get sidetracked into the other possibilities on
offer. )

I guess there's 2 types of creativity involved here, for instance I can
spend
a whole evening creating a patch(morph)  for the Lexicon Vortex,  trying
out
stuff fairly analytically and looking through the manual.
Then later I can dial up that patch and make music, and by responding to
what
I hear I can often find possibilities in the patch that i hadn't designed
for.
The first process here isn't usually as gratifying as the second, all the
setting up can be a bit tedious. The part I really enjoy is getting to
respond to, and play with the new sounds.

So maybe there's:-
Working to extend the limits, which can be a somewhat dry intellectual
experience.
and
Working within the limits, which is more immediate (and fun).

just ideas (please pull apart)

andy butler