EDP in software?

Anyone know of software that works kind of like an EDP?  I'm basically
looking for something where I can push a button (preferable a footswitch)
start recording, and press a button to stop recording and loop.  I'd also
like to be able to overdub.  I'm interested in software for the PC (not
necessarily windows).  Mac might be interesting too as a reference (I don't
own a Mac).

I want to avoid the push a button to record, push a button to stop, set
loop
area, repeat cycle I get with Sonic Foundry and Cakewalk products.

I've searched through Altavista and Yahoo, and I find lots of references to
CDLooper, the band Looper, and various people who's last name is Looper.  I
checked through the mailing list archives, and the software references
there
seem to be to updates for the EDP, and commentary on the mailing list
software.

Alternatively, can anyone suggest other terms to look for this by.  What do
these things get called besides 'loopers'

thanks
-daveh
Dave Hastings
dhastings@earthlink.net
"When in doubt, don't major in physics"
  Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle according to Joel Achenbach