Re: dt harmony-central repeater review

At 10:17 AM 9/22/2001, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>  Kim did not decide to publish my review, and
>that's fine, he's the editor... he's also the man who writes/wrote the
>software for the EDP.  Conflict of interest?  There's the possibility of
>it,
>but I don't see it.

hold on, what? I never made any such decision! I have several Repeater
reviews that I have received for the web site, including yours Mark. Some
are positive, some negative, some balanced. In fact, I thought yours was
probably the best I've received. I just don't have time in my life right
now to be updating web sites every day, so I have to wait until I do have
that time to put it together. Please don't take that as meaning I decided
not to use something! They will all get up there eventually, with the
possible exception of the other review I mentioned where I have some
issues
with it. I also frequently ask people questions about their reviews to
give
them an opportunity to revise it and make it as complete as possible. I do
this because I hope to make the reviews on Looper's Delight as useful to
the looping community as possible.

And I definitely recognize my own conflicts of interest in this. That is
why you won't see any reviews of mine published on the LD web site,
although I do sometimes make comments on the list. I assume that comments
make on the list can be easily challenged or addressed by anybody who
wants
to do that. And indeed, that happens. That is one reason why I don't
moderate anything here.  I've also never withheld anything from publishing
on the site because of any interests of opinions of mine. I try to keep
these things as separate as I am able to. Indeed, the biggest conflict I
have is my time, in weighing the time I spend on LD vs. my current job at
really intense startup vs. work for Aurisis and the Echoplex vs. my own
personal life. The only thing that actually makes me any money out of
those
four is my job, so that's where most of the time goes. :-)

It goes deeper than just my background of involvement in the EDP, as I do
receive money for advertising on Looper's Delight from a variety of
companies whose products are discussed here. Since I've been actively
seeking such revenues in the past six months or so as a means to pay the
growing costs of the site, the amounts have been getting larger. (Not very
much though. :-( I still lose quite a bit of money on all of this.) So I
have conflicts of interest there as well, where I need to try to maintain
integrity and honesty of the site while receiving wildly varying amounts
of
money from various companies represented there. I desperately need that
income to pay for things, so I frequently find myself questioning my own
actions and whether they are influenced by money promised or received, or
likewise, whether they might threaten future income that I need. My
approach so far has been to continue being myself, because I think
anything
else is dishonest. I also think that the site is only interesting to
people
in the world so long as it is honest and informative, and that maintaining
that will keep people coming, which will then attract more advertising
money to pay for it. I think people can see through bullshit pretty
easily,
so I don't try to give them any. But I do continue asking myself these
questions, and you can feel free to do the same. I would rather put
everything out there for people to make their own judgements.

In the case of the Repeater, I actually own two of them, so I'm probably
more invested in Electrix and the Repeater than most people here. So if
I'm
an owner and a user of something, I guess I think I should get to speak my
opinions of it same as anybody else. In fact, I think the cost of those
Repeaters is greater than any money I've ever personally earned from LD or
the EDP. (both of which are things I've spent far more on than I've ever
earned.)  so where does that leave me? :-)

oh, BTW, it is Matthias who mainly writes the Echoplex software, and
occasionally Eric. I don't do software, just hardware and business stuff.

>I was able to duplicate the problems that Kim found
>easily.  Was he a bit emotional about the Repeater's problems?  Sure, but
>the
>EDPs throne is being challenged for it's first time.  The EDP is his
>baby, so
>of course he'll be emotional, but at least he was accurate.

That is probably a truthful assessment, although the EDP has been getting
challenged for years for some reason or another. I did have a whole post
of
good things to say about the repeater too:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200109/msg00353.html

I basically like the repeater, and think it's a great product, although
with some flaws. But I do think the looping market is really confused
about
what the Repeater is all about. To me that is the main source of
frustration. After using them both, I find the Repeater and EDP don't have
very much in common, so I don't really see them as much in competition. It
is only in a confused market that they compete.

Some people seem to have convinced themselves that the Repeater is the
same
type of device as the echoplex or jamman or dl-4, etc., and bought it for
those reasons or as a replacement for those things. They want it to be an
echoplex/jamman performance-oriented looper with new features added.
Repeater isn't like that, and when they try to use it that way they get
very frustrated and have some really negative reactions. People who grok
Repeater as more of a recording or remix tool based in looping principles
seem to like it (and don't seem to understand where the negative reactions
come from). Likewise, people who never understood that the echoplex was
entirely designed as a live performance instrument and instead tried to
use
it as a recording tool have often been frustrated by it as well.

In the current case, I think Electrix could probably do a better job of
setting people's expectations for what the Repeater is all about. So far
they have had a tendency to promise everything to everybody, which they
obviously can't deliver on. And they haven't done anything to stop people
thinking it would be the ultra-jamman or something like that. Leaving the
market confused probably results in better sales in the short term, but
some of those buyers are going to be unhappy and that comes back to hurt
Electrix. In the long term I think it is better if everybody who buys the
Repeater understands it to begin with, and then gets what they thought
they
were getting.

kim