Re: field recorders

hey tim
i have been using a marantz cassette field recorder since 95 and picked up
MD in 97. i love both of them. the marantz can sound comparable to a dat
(if
you dont want to use digital) when using metal tapes and nice condenser
mics. ive recorded a lot of creeks,rivers, animals,insects,campers, and
parties with itas i travelled around the country for a couple of years.
the MD is great. the sound quality is good enough for me...being on a
perpetual limited budget. it is 75% smaller than the marantz and much more
accessible for recording when in those "non-recording zone" kind of
places.
i use the sony 717 dual condenser mic that is about 1" by 1". anyway,
thats
my little set up in the world. hope its some help.
shane