RE: memory and improvisation

Kim explains:

>I think it is very interesting that Matthias, who defines himself
>musically as an improvisor and brought this topic up, is also the
>main inventor of the Echoplex. It is interesting to see how one
>affects the other; Matthias' needs for being able to use and
>manipulate loops in a very spontaneous way during improvisation has
>very much to do with why the echoplex works the way it does. And
>using the echoplex for years in improvisational looping continues to
>inspire ideas for the next generation of it. He created tools to
>solve his problems and meet his needs. Or perhaps you could say, he
>created a given set of improvisational looping techniques and then
>created the instrument to enable him to do it in real time.

To be more acurate: in the first year I implemented what I needed.
Then the other 7 years, I implemented what other users needed (with
the exeption of the new SyncRec function in the upgrade - which
similarely worked in my units since '94, but was not mature :-) It
helps a lot for improvising with partners)

>The loop space gets all filled up and layered deeper and deeper and
>it turns into the giant wall of sound loop that demolishes
>everything in it's path. And then they don't know what to do with
>that, so at the end they just turn it off, which for me as a
>listener is rather like running through a very thick and noisy fog
>and then suddenly colliding with a brick wall.

brilliant picture, Kim!

>Move past the idea of an immutable loop that gets saved and recalled
>and triggered and repeated but never itself changes, to where the
>actual process of creating and changing the loop itself becomes the
>form and then the music....

thats it!
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org