RE: memory and improvisation

Title: RE: memory and improvisation

 The loop space gets all filled up
and layered deeper and deeper and it turns into the giant wall of sound
loop that demolishes everything in it's path.

** yeah. i guess this is sort of what i meant when discussing how insensitive looping can be in group improv.

And then they don't know what
to do with that, so at the end they just turn it off, which for me as a
listener is rather like running through a very thick and noisy fog and then
suddenly colliding with a brick wall.

** of course - - that could be an amazing sound if used properly!!!

silence in the loop is good. leave some there to begin with. But also,
learn how to add silence to the loop. when the loop has gotten busy, learn
to take some things out of it to make it change to less busy. Add space.

** yeah. been thinking about this a lot recently.

Learn to make it more empty, in addition to more full. learn to make it go
down sometimes instead of always up....

compositional form is another thing that looping should make more possible
instead of less.  instead of curing insomnia, you might use
multiple loops and move between them as a means to create a form, or
multiple loops each with a variation of an original loop to give the loop
some movement.

** yeah, yeah, yeah. the other thing is pulling a loop in and out of the basic texture/flow - - can add the form thing (if ye want). also, switching between three or so loopers can give some nice effects.

But many people get into the "ok I've made my 2 bar loop,
now I'm going to let it repeat for 19 minutes while I put you to sleep with
my noodling" style of looping.

** snooorrreee . . . huh? what were you saying?

To me that is where looping is exciting, when it moves past the simplistic
idea of a static audio sample that just repeats over and over, perhaps
while being mixed with another static sample or two. Move past the idea of
an immutable loop that gets saved and recalled and triggered and repeated
but never itself changes, to where the actual process of creating and
changing the loop itself becomes the form and then the music....

* i'm too dumb - - beside i like recurring slabs of sound, but then i get hung up on form.

stig