RE: stereo delay

At 11:34 AM 10/9/2001, g716 wrote:
>This may seem obvious, but if it's 12 seconds you want, record a blank
>12 second loop on the repeater, then go into overdub mode and you should
>be able to avoid the bump issue altogether.
>
>Yes, recording 12 seconds of dead space in a live performance setting
>might not be convenient.

I thought that was the solution too, until I tried it today. It doesn't
help. When you overdub a sustained sound over the startpoint boundary of
the loop the repeater gets a pop in the loop at that point. This is after
you have recorded the loop and you are just overdubbing sustained sounds
across the loop startpoint when this pop happens. I guess this is the
"bump
issue" people are talking about. Kind of a strange problem really, I guess
it might have something to do with the padding they add before and after
the loop in memory.

Like you, I first thought Simeon below and others meant a different
problem, where you get a little noise in the initial recording at the
startpoint caused by the waveform at the end of the loop not matching
exactly to the waveform at the beginning. Both the repeater and the edp
deal with this by using crossfade techniques, which improve it a lot but
are not always perfect. (other loopers don't do anything, so you get
little
pops.)  that can usually be further improved by the technique of going
directly into overdub from record as is easy to do on the edp. Since
repeater doesn't have the ability to do that direct into overdub function,
I figured that was what people were having trouble with. Recording a blank
loop first and then starting your loop with overdub would be a workaround
for that (although an awkward one), but now I see that doesn't work either.

kim