powers of two (Re: NYC loop fest)

>How about meeting to find who can comunicate with whom and then play
>together on stage?
>I can setup in 2 minutes, but on a big stage, all installations
>could stay and spontaneous meeting could happen.
>There should be a network of BrotherSync cables spread over the stage :-)

I like this idea a lot.

It actually leads into a long-term idea I was touting a few years ago
but wasn't able to get together...

Powers of Two.

basically, there's a single central time code source that sends out

   .
   .
   .
0.25Hz
0.5Hz
1Hz
2Hz
4Hz
   .
   .
   .
1024Hz
2048Hz

etc.

so in some sense, there's a constant source sending out binary
counting numbers:

000000000000
000000000001
000000000010
000000000011
000000000100

etc.

I did a bunch o' fiddling on this but my best guess for this
was that we play for 2**13 seconds and have frequencies
up to 2**14 Hz, making 2**27 divisions in total.  (2**13 seconds
is somewhat over 2 hours...)

the mixing takes this into account -- any individual player gets to play
for some fraction of the whole time, when their "bits are on", but for
most of the time, many of the players are playing.

We'd hook it up to a digital mixer (like the one right here) and a
sequencer
so as to enforce the timeslicing!

I'd love to do this.... I have a lot more writing on this... but I'd
love to wait for the second show for this one.

        /t

http://whatGoes.com  ................ extreme NY calendar.
http://ax.to/fortune ......... a new fortune every minute.
http://clikTrik.com  .................. Many, many photos.