Re: Golia/Fields/Makihara

Here's the URL for Toshi's own web pages:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/tosmos/

Having performed and recorded a number of times with Toshi myself
over the past couple years, I can attest to all the facts and share
the sentiments, that John Price has expressed here.

Toshi did some awesomely wild playing at the past High Zero festivals
in Baltimore, 1999 and 2000. If anyone on the list is interested,
High Zero has documentation on its website: http://www.highzero.org/

If you're into experimental improvised music Toshi is definitely
worth seeing and hearing. And if you do, please tell him "hi" from me.

Best regards,
Eric

At 9:42 PM -0400 10/25/01, AKASHMUSIC@aol.com wrote:
>I know there are other Philly Musicians-loopers on LD who can chime in
>here
>and offer up perhaps many better examples than me which attest to the
>greatness of Toshi Makahara...but i gotta say in all sincerity that Toshi
>Makahara is "all that" & lots more,
>
>Toshi Makahara is from Japan but a Philly Luminary-Treasure who has worked
>with John Zorn, Jack Wright and Charles Cohen plus many, many others
>others (
>including wally shoup, bob rhainey (sp) ) in areas of free jazz and
>improvised music for many years.
>
>Toshi is probably IMHO one of thee most amazing free - avant garde
>percussionist-drummers i've ever seen play music.
>
>& i'll never forget him attaching somethin akin to a cannon ball on a
>flexi-pole to his butt as he thumped out a rhythm and did a dance which I
>have never in all my life ever witnessed.
>
>Toshi then proceeded to reuturn to playing a drum kit with somthing
>resembling common kitchen utencils or opther devices which were unknown
>along
>with having drums and objects i had never witnessed before or even
>considered
>percussive objects.
>
>His sense of space, timing, texture, vitality and humor in addition to his
>more than serious devotion to and commitment to free music is both clear,
>enagaing, positive and a delight to watch and hear unfold in a live
>context.
>
>Toshi also has done some straight ahead jazz stuff too & has some key
>releases out there too.
>
>but I also cant really find many web references to his stuff but i can
>definitely tell you no matter what he is gonna do it will definitely be
>worth
>anyones time and listening abilites as that Toshi's performances have
>always
>been splendid and rewarding to me and everyone else in the audience.
>
>So Go See Toshi and see for yourself.
>
>But KNOW You are in for a treat!
>
>Warm Regards,
>John Price/AKASH
>GET THE NEW AKASH CD "THE GIFT OF PUNISHMENT"
>"Remember To Always Kill Your Expectations"
>www.akashmusic.com

Eric Leonardson: http://pages.ripco.net/~eleon

Upcoming Performances & Broadcasts:

November 1, with Tatsuya Nakatani at splinter group Audio Studio, 450
N. Leavitt, Chicago. More info at http://www.zeggz.com/tat/

December 7-9 and 13-16, Plasticene's Volume XII at the Viaduct, Chicago.