Re: kingcrimson in sf-no loop content...

scott,
when peter b said,
>> >I've noticed whenever someone attempts Soundscapes they're really
performing
>> >Frippertronics.

and i then replied:
>> cchhhhwwrauugh, now *there's* a (dinosauric) crock of shite..... again!
>> so many years later, this minor ignorance still gets up my nose.
>> what exactly is a 'soundscape'?;
.....well..... i meant to pose a rhetorical question, in order to point
out
that not everyone who uses looping-instruments employs
'soundscapes'/'frippertronics' as their 'model' or 'base'.

regardless, thanks for your response.

>OK - This is my turf. Soundscapes are sound environments, usually
>beatless,
>and strongly connected to the original ambient concept stated by Brian
>Eno:
>"Ambient Music must be able to accomodate many levels of listening
>attention
>without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is
interesting."
with no disrespect meant for b. eno -(far from it, in fact)-, a publicly
repeated verbal definition of an aesthetic oeuvre does not necessarily
also
mark the actual genesis of that oeuvre.
see: k. stockhausen, j. cage, t. riley, etc etc.

>Eno's "Music For Airports (ambient one)" was multiple-loop based music
>but "On Land (ambient three)" is a better example of soundscapes created
using
>a variety of techniques to establish a series of sonic landscapes.
thanks. i've only heard these works, in passing..... as they were maybe
meant
to be heard.
*-)

>While Eno coined the term "ambient music" for these types of music,
>the term "soundscape" was coined by composer R. Murray Scafer for the
>everyday sound environments that we live in. His World Soundscape Project
>is dedicated to listening to, measuring, analysing and documenting the
>world's
>sound environments. (His book "The Tuning Of The World" is a good
>reference.)
thanks for that!

>Musical soundscapes are designed to replace, enhance or intermingle with
>our personal daily soundscapes. They can often be mood-altering or
>enhancing.

i posed another rhetorical q., then:
>> what exactly is 'frippertronics', but a description of robert's version
>of
>> techniques that were already in existence when he learnt them?

and you replied.....
>That's exactly what it is.
that's what i think; again, i was responding to how i perceived peter b's
root-assumption, which seemed to imply that all loopists are attempting
'soundscapes/frippertronics'..... which, imo, is erroneous if merely
uninformed.
best,
dt / s-c