Re: kingcrimson in sf-no loop content...

At 1:58 PM +0000 11/18/01, Steve Lawson wrote:
>On the subject of naming stuff (Frippertronics, Belewps etc), isn't
>it just about things being memorable?

After all, Robert Fulton didn't invent the steamboat and Arnold
Schoenberg didn't invent the 12-tone row, but they are deservedly
famous for their development and exploitation of these things.

>Is Fripp any less influential in either real or theoretical terms
>because he was taking that which was being caried out largely in
>academia and then regurgitating it in a pop context (or even that
>which was being used in a fringe pop way, and making it a little
>more mainstream)?

It's worth pointing out that a lot of the innovation under discussion
was actually being done _outside_ of academia, and in fact was often
in reaction to the stodginess of the academic scene.

>I'm a firm believer in credit where it's due, so it would be nice if
>peope perceived as innovators were a little more vocal in crediting
>sources.

I was witness to an example of that during a panel about the early
years of analog synthesizers, featuring Bob Moog and several of his
associates. When the the topic of Moog's sequencer module came up Bob
said, "oh, that was an idea I copped from Don Buchla."

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com