Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V01 #677

> Is Frisell a closet Kajagoogoo
> obsessive, does he
> >dig the Spice Girls and Pantera?

umm...don't tell anyone, but I dig the spice girls AND
pantera! i'm so embarrassed though...

> I am continually bombarded with the same question by
> people from
> all walks of life. No doubt that it's a simple,
> honest question and
> one that deserves at least an attempt at a
> straightforward answer
> (simplicity not always being possible). But what do
> you do when you
> don't have half an hour to explain all of the little
> nuances and
> pseudo historical connections of your personal
> musical mythology.

i know this feeling. i try to take a different musical
path just to make it emotionally relevant for myself.
but when yer in college and someone asks you what kind
of stuff you play, it seems like if you don't say
phish or radiohead then people have no comparisons to
make. i admittedly borrow plenty from michael brook,
lisa gerrard, ethnic music, etc, but not only are my
influences more emotional/intellectual/spiritual vs
sonic, but no one at school knows who the fuck i'm
talking about anyway.

on the bizkit post, i have never really enjoyed that
band, though once i sat down and listened, i thought
wes was doing some very interesting things on the
guitar. there are some lovely ambient tones that he
comes up with that are really an antithesis to the
whole fred durst machismo image. i was glad to hear he
left the band, i'm looking forward to hearing his solo
album. after reading a couple interviews, he really
seemed too intelligent for that band in the first
place, but i'm betting the money had to be good.

i was talking to dallas schoo, who is the Edge's
guitar tech, and he was saying that he had also toured
with bizkit and that wes is a very sweet and clever
guy, for what that's worth.

peace,

phil

=====
"Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what
it's like to live inside somebody else's skin.
 It is the knowledge that there can never really be any
peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally
for you too."
                                   -Frederick Buechner
"The jewel is in the lotus."