Roland Octapad II + Jamman users?

Hi All,

Anyone using a Roland Octapad II with a Jamman?
I have an Octapad II that my drummer is trying to use to trigger the
Jamman with.
Unfortunately, we have no Octapad manual.

For each pad there is a menu option to send program changes (in addition
to note, velocity, etc), but when I try, for instance, to set Pad 1 to
send a Program Change 2 on Midi Channel 1, the Jamman does nothing.
Curiously, using the Patch Change buttons (not pads) on the lower right
of the Octapad evokes the proper Jamman response.  What's the deal?  Its
seems like such a perfect solution for our band - having a drummer hit
Octapad pads to control tap and reset on the Jamman.  Anyone else doing
this or something similar?  Any help here is much appreciated....Thanks!